TASK AND MOTIVATION
The installation "The Passenger", made of wooden slats, by the Belgian artist Arne Quinze, was destined to be one of the attractions at the Belgian city of Mons, the "Capital of Culture 2015". However, the 85-metre long and 16-metre high construction which spanned a street and pedestrian paths, collapsed on 24 December 2014. Fortunately, nobody was hurt. This impressive installation, which can be viewed before and after the collapse on the Internet, served as inspiration for the task of planning a large sculpture of simple elements for a public space. Unlike our source of inspiration, we will build the plastic object as a model and test its effect with the help of photographic design capabilities and using a digital image processing program.
- Work analysis: Photos and videos of Arne Quinze's ''The Passenger'' in Mons/Belgium
- Relationship between plastic and space
- Use simple materials to design an art object for public space and make it as a model
- Put the resulting object into new relationships by means of photomontage; Search for suitable photos or take them yourself
- Test artistic possibilities of photography
- Work with a digital image processing program
MATERIAL AND RESOURCES
- Double-side coated corrugated board from cardboard boxes
- Solid cardboard tubes in different diameters, e.g. postal tubes
- UHU Glue Gun Low Melt 110°C or UHU Hart
- Cutting machine
- Mitre saw for cutting cardboard tubes, if required
- Shaping aids such as bowls, cans.
- Computer with image processing program
- Colour printer
- Photo paper
UHU GLUE GUN LOW MELT 110°C
- Low temperature glue gun with a melting temperature of only approx. 110°C: more safety and versatility in hot glueing
- Short heat-up phase of 3 to 5 minutes
- Heat-insulated nozzle
- Also suitable for many heat-sensitive materials
- Handy size: easy to use and to dose
- Crystal-clear, fast-drying and high-strength special adhesive for small part bonds
- Particularly suitable for modelling with cardboard, balsa wood, wood materials and many hard plastics
- With separate fine dosing tip
- The adhesive film dries hard and is therefore ideal for reinforcing critical
adhesive points as well as for stiffening and sealing many material surfaces.
- Adhesive surfaces must be dry, free of dusts and grease.
- Apply thinly on one side. Join parts to be glued together and fix.
- With hard, closed surfaces,
apply UHU hart on both sides, allow to dry, coat a surface again, join.
Part 1: Work analysis: Photos and videos of Arne Quinze's "The Passenger" in Mons/Belgium.
Examples of links (as of April 2015) which show videos or photos of the installation:
- Video (55 sec.) of the construction of the installation in time lapse, published by A.
- Quinze: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152360551512750
- Arne Quinze has published more time-lapse videos on Youtube.
- Photo series on Arne Quinze's homepage: http://arnequinze.com/en/projects/detail/the-passenger
- There are countless photos of the installation before and after the collapse in the online press .
- Key words for your search engine: Quinze Installation Mons
Part 2: Design and construction of the model: Each pupil makes their own model with the given material (cardboard strips).
Cut the corrugated board from a cardboard box into 8 to 12 mm wide strips with the cutting machine. The length is determined when building the model.
If necessary, cut cardboard tubes to the required length with a mitre saw.
A bowl, for example, which serves as a supporting form during the assembly, can be useful for dome-shaped or spherical objects. The spherical form of the object of Page 1 was created by the combination of two hemispheres, which were first joined individually over a bowl.
Each pupil photographs their model and a public space or searches for a suitable digital photo e.g. holiday photo.
Either crop the model with the character stylus or the wand tool, create the work path and path.
Copy the cropped object to the target photo (work with multiple layers) and adjust: size, brightness, contrast, tonal values. Expand shade, for example, copy of the object shape in grey, rotated, distorted, soft-drawn, reduced opacity. Test different versions.
Print photo series: object - public space - montage. Examples in the appendix!