TASK AND MOTIVATION
Even in the age of e-books and audio books, the "classic" paper book still plays an important role. Books accompany us through our entire lives: from the picture book for toddlers, teenage books, schoolbooks, to non-fiction books and novels, books are important companions. Bookends are a suitable means of stopping books from tilting and storing them in an attractive manner. Pupils are particularly motivated by the book supports presented here because they can design their own patterns or figures and colour them. This makes each piece unique.
Learning objectives and competencies
- Work analysis: Photos and videos of Arne Quinze's "The Passenger" in Mons/Belgium
- Relationship between plastic and space
- Use simple materials to design an art object for public space and make it as a model
- Put the resulting object into new relationships by means of photomontage; Search for suitable photos or take them yourself
- Test artistic possibilities of photography
- Work with a digital image processing program
Material and resources
Learning objectives and competencies
- Plan, design and manufacture a product
- Get to know different wood materials
- Possibilities and limitations of simple material connections
- Proper use of tools and materials
- Working techniques: marking, sawing with the backsaw or Japanese saw and fretsaw, filing, grinding, glueing, possibly chiseling
- Learn about and apply wood compounds (dull glueing, open dowelling, finger-twisting)
- Identify sources of danger when handling materials and tools in order to understand and adhere to the required safety measures
- Ecological aspects (e.g. material-saving use through careful planning and economical tracing)
- Specific use of colour as a basic design medium
- Derive assessment criteria and use them for a respectful and estimating assessment
- Fine or Japanese saw
- Screw clamps
- Depending on wood connection, drill machine, pricking awn and drill (for anchoring), chisels (for finger-twisting)
- Fretsaw bench
- Fretsaw blades
- Paper, ruler and pencil for drawing the figures
- UHU stic ReNATURE for glueing the figures on the veneer plate
- Acrylic paints for painting the figures
- Brushes of different strengths
- Wood glue as a supplement when glueing the angle parts
- UHU Wood Glue
- If required, foam rubber (1 to 2 mm thick) and UHU All Purpose Adhesive Extra without solvent.
Dimensions in mm
150 x 100 x 15
110 x 100 x 15
||250 x 90 x 6*
* Size depends on the figures
UHU WOOD GLUE
- Fast setting, universal white glue with the highest binding strength for all types of wood and wood-based materials
- Dries transparently
- Without solvent
- Adhesive surfaces must be dry, free of dusts and grease.
- Cover one side fully with wood glue, cover both sides for hard wood or rough-cut edges, press time between 4 and 15 minutes
UHU STIC RENATURE GLUE STICK WITHOUT SOLVENT
- Glue stick container made from 58% renewable raw materials
- Saves fossil resources, reduces CO2 emissions and is 100% recyclable
- Screw cap protects against drying out
- Adhesive mastic up to 98% from natural ingredients
- Adheres quickly, strongly, permanently
- Easily applicable
- Can be washed cold
Mark the angles and cut them with the backsaw or Japanese saw.
Work the saw edges with the file, e.g. round off corners.
Glue the angle parts with UHU Wood Glue and press with a screw clamp. Allow to dry and then sand.
The pupils draw the outlines of their patterns on paper. They then determine which figure is to be split and draw the dividing line.
Cut out the drawn shapes roughly - approximately 5 to 8 mm next to the drawn outline - and glue them onto the veneer plate with the UHU stic ReNATURE. It is advisable to arrange the parts so that the subsequent glue surfaces lie on the edges of the veneer plate.
Cut out the parts with the jigsaw and then sand them. Do not sand the glue surfaces!
Colour the individual parts with acrylic paint. Do not paint the glue surfaces!
Glue the individual parts onto the bookends, so the divided figures are aligned.
If the bookends slip on the shelf, glue a thin layer of foam rubber onto the base with UHU All Purpose Adhesive Extra without solvent.